At state, secular or church schools in the West today Muslim children do not receive a proper grounding in knowledge of Islam. Moreover, both in the classroom and in the playground they are often exposed to ideas, influences and behavior which can both pressurize and tempt them away from the straight path of Islam and its moral code. Thankfully, as Muslim communities expand through immigration and the conversion of westerners, Islamic schools are being set up to cater for the educational and spiritual needs of our young people. Where possible we should do all we can to strengthen and support these establishments. Muslim schools are good for our community and our children because:
* The basics of Islam are taught and practiced in the school
* Almost all the teachers are Muslim and thus maintain an Islamic atmosphere in the classroom.
* Students are expected to wear Islamic attire and maintain a proper Islamic manner which is hopefully reflected in the rest of their lives.
* There is less peer pressure to indulge in any un-Islamic behavior.
* Topics covered in classes are presented from an Islamic perspective, thus enabling the students to relate to the world from an Islamic point of view.
* There are no problems of drugs, guns, sexual promiscuity nor sexual education taught in a moral and religious vacuum.
* Muslim schools usually have small classes and a good student/teacher relationship and ratio. Read the rest of this entry »